Monday 13 June 2016

Places I Remember:My Time With the Beatles by Henry Grossman

Henry Grossman was 27 when Time magazine hired him to shoot the Beatles during their first appearance on "The Ed Sullivan Show" in 1964. "I was not listening to any of that kind of music," Grossman said in a call to his New York home. "I loved symphonic music, and I had just bought my first hi-fi set. The only music I was listening to was classical."
Yet there was almost an instant bond between the Fab Four -- especially George Harrison -- and Grossman. "I watched what they were doing and I photographed [the Sullivan show] and one concert in Atlantic City," Grossman said. "They were terrific. I liked them from the get-go."
And that's really how he came to take more than 6,500 photos of Harrison, Paul McCartney, John Lennon, Ringo Starr and their families and friends between 1964 and 1968, the height of Beatlemania. More than 1,000 of the photos have been published in this book."  Grossman was given such close access because they became friends, so his Beatles photos are not just publicity stills, but also candid shots taken by a highly skilled professional. The images aren't mere images; they're personality studies of four young men coming to terms with what they'd created just by making a little bit of music. Once, Harrison was involved in writing a song and struggling to come up with a word. Grossman suggested a thesaurus, which Harrison had never heard of. "I went out and bought him a thesaurus, and he said that only then was he able to find all the words he needed," Grossman said. 

No comments:

Post a Comment